Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Herbie The Squirrel

Today as I do each school morning, I was on the edge of the street in front of my home greeting families delivering their children to the nearby elementary school, and greeting commuters.

On my driveway, I noticed a squirrel watching all the activities. "My name is Herbie," he shouted to me. "My name is Dick," I replied with a smile.

"You know what you're doing can be dangerous," he yelled. "My brother Frankie was on the street about where you are when a car ran him over."

"Did it kill him," I asked. "No," said Herbie. "But it made him flat as a pancake. We rushed him to the vet and it was month before he could climb a tree again."

As we were speaking, Herbie began to forage for food. Then he looked at me and said, "It wouldn't hurt you to leave a few nuts out. I've got a wife and kids to feed."

"I'm sorry," I answered. "I'll be more considerate in the future. I'll leave some peanuts out." 

"Actually," Herbie replied, "We'd rather have almonds, preferably organic, dry roasted and unsalted. It's healthier for us."

"That's expensive," I replied. "Yeah," said Herbie. "But isn't our health worth it to you?"

"You're right," I told him. "Is there anything else I can do for you?" "Now that you mention it," he said, "We could use some blankets and pillows." 

"It gets cold here at night and blankets would warm us and pillows would make us more comfortable."

As the school and commuter rush came to an end, I wished Herbie a nice day, and went into my home.

A short time later, there was a knock on the front door.

"Hi, it's me, Herbie. You asked if there was anything else you could do for me and I realized there is. At night my family and I watch your TV with you through your rear yard glass doors."

"Yes," I replied, curious what this demanding little squirrel would ask for next.

"We don't like some of your TV shows," he stated. "From now on, no more PBS. We want Apple, Netflix and Amazon Prime." 

"In fact," he continued, "Just leave the remote with us."

As I closed the door it occurred to me, "Who is in charge here?" Soon I realized it was becoming little Herbie and his family. 

And then I thought, "Well, at least the animal rights people will respect me, if not Herbie."

With Love To All - Dick

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment