Friday, April 26, 2024

Animal, Insect Self-Awareness

Last Friday, at New York University nearly 40 researchers presented “The New York Declaration on Animal Consciousness.”

Its basic premise is that animals, even insects have cognitive recognition, self-awareness and sensitivity.

Wanting to test the premise, this morning I spoke to a snail 🐌 on my driveway:

Dick: Can I ask you a question?

Snail: I’m in a hurry and don’t have the time to answer your question!

Dick: What do you mean you don’t have the time? It will take you another hour to travel 2 feet.

Snail: What’s your question?

Dick: Do you have cognitive recognition, self-awareness and sensitivity?

Snail: I’m talking to you, understanding you and being annoyed by you. So yes!

An hour later, I grabbed a flyswatter to kill a fly in my home. “Don’t you dare,” the fly roared!” “I’m sorry,” I replied, as I hung my head in shame.

It then occurred to me:

What if vegetables πŸ₯• and fruit 🍎 have cognitive recognition, self-awareness and sensitivity. If so, what will we eat? Could any life form survive on what is left to us: Red Bull, Skittles, Lucky Charms and Fruit Loops? And if we survive, will we still have cognitive recognition, self awareness, and sensitivity?

With Love To All - Dick

To learn more: https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/animal-consciousness-scientists-push-new-paradigm-rcna148213 

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment