Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Wisdom Of My Dog Butch

The other day my dog Butch asked if we could have a talk. Of course I agreed as he and I are best friends.

"Why do you get so upset with life," Butch asked. "Look at me. I live a joyous life. I love everyone and I eat, I sleep, I poop, I play fetch, I sniff a few doggy rear ends and I watch those TV shows you like."

"Life is so much more than that," I answered.

"Really," he replied. "How?"

"I have a job, I have responsibilities, I pay a lot of bills including yours," I told him.

"I understand," Butch said. "But why are you here? What is your purpose in life?"

"To have fun," I replied with a serious look in my eyes. "And to grow wiser."

"When are you going to have that fun," Butch asked. "And how are you growing wiser?"

As I fumbled for an answer, I finally said, "I don't know. But someday I'll have fun and be wiser."

"Isn't life brief," asked Butch. "What if someday never comes. Why can't you have fun and grow wiser now?"

Butch was beginning to embarrass me. "I don't know," I said.

"Isn't it possible to have fun at work," Butch asked. "And to let that fun carry into everything else you do? Wouldn't that be a great way to meet your responsibilities and pay your bills?"

"I guess so," I relied sheepishly. But that's not the way people do things."

"Look at me," Butch answered. I have fun every day, and I've grown far wiser than when I was a puppy because I'm always open to new experiences.

"People say I live a dog's life, but a dog's life can be wonderful and my life is wonderful.

"The last thing any dog would want to live is a people life, with all of its anger and frustration, a life of fear and inadequacy and one taken far too seriously."

As I gave Butch a big hug and some doggy treats, I realized he was right.

"Okay," I said. "Starting now, I'm going to share in your excitement for life and do many of the loving things you do, except I'm not going to sniff doggy rear ends."

"That's okay," barked Butch as he jumped into my arms with excitement. "I'll sniff 'em for you."

Dick Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment