Sunday, September 20, 2015

A Talking Tree With A Dancing Bee

"Hey Saul," I called out to a lush green pine tree in my front yard. "What's that little bee doing?"

"He's dancing," replied Saul. "He does this to rejoice in being alive."

"Does it work," I asked. "It must," answered Saul. "Look how happy he is."

"It's been a long time since I've been that happy," I told Saul. "I think I'll join him."

Pretty soon I was dancing in circles around Saul, as I waved my arms in the air and made buzzing sounds, while the little bee buzzed even louder and happier as we danced together.

My neighbor Sadie, always a gossipy lady saw us and called out, "You're acting crazy."

"Maybe," I replied, "But I haven't been this happy in a long time."

Sadie spoke to our other neighbirs, who soon stood with her, as everyone shook their heads at my foolishness.

"Come join me and this little bee," I shouted to them."And you'll be happy."

"I haven't been happy in a long time," said neighbor Susan. "Can I add some cheerful music?

"Sure," I answered.

And she played the song "Happy," from the movie "Despicable Me 2" as we danced merrily in a circle.

Our mail carrier saw this, and he cast aside his mail bag and joined us. After he did, neighbor after neighbor who only moments before had been so critical, set aside their cares and joined us.

Eventually even Sadie joined our big dancing circle.

When we finished, everyone was laughing and feeling good, even the little bee as he rested on my shoulder.

"This is what life is about," I said cheerfully. "Having fun and sharing good times with those around us.

"Maybe we could do this again sometime," said Sadie.

"Of course," said I, while giving Sadie a hug."All we need is a talking tree with a dancing bee."

"Or," said Susan, "A simple decision to celebrate life and the joyful spirit to do it."

Dick

This title evolved from a writing of Robin Wall Kimmerer advising us to "Ditch the It" in describing Mother Nature, as she included a reference to " ... Talking Trees, Dancing Bees ... "


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment