Sunday, June 14, 2015

Being Remembered

"How would you like to be remembered after you're gone," Jack asked his friends Rolly and Mike.

"I'd like to be remembered as a great lawyer," Rolly replied. "As young lawyers admire how I won my cases. And as a result, maybe my law school will name a building for me."

"I'd like to be remembered as a great architect," said Mike, "As people admire the homes I designed. And maybe my university will name a building for me."

"What about you Jack," asked Rolly. "How would you like to be remembered?"

"In the best way I can imagine," answered Jack. "Where nobody remembers my name or my work but that many people live better lives because I was here.

"For example:

"That I was a devoted parent in whose love and support my children prospered and that they and their children then made this a better society.

"That my taxes paid for a better education for everyone's children and that my anonymous charity donations helped those who were otherwise down and out.

"Even my ashes," Jack added, "Would be sprinkled as fertilizer on my little red rose bush so that all who saw it would be captivated by its beauty and scent."

"But what about your legacy," asked Mike. "You'll be forgotten!"

"Only my name and work will be forgotten," Jack replied. "But my legacy will live in the joy of others. What better legacy could there be than that."

Dick Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment