Friday, July 1, 2016

The Unhappy Taxicab Driver

"I hate this job," said the cab driver as I got into his cab. "Why," I asked. "Because I hate traffic," he replied.

"How long have you been a cab driver," I inquired. "17 years," he answered. "17 years!" I said stunned. "If you're unhappy, why don't you get another job?"

"Because there are no other jobs I can get," he stated. "In 17 years, no other jobs," I thought, but didn't comment.

"Do you have a family," I asked, trying to find something positive in his life. "Yeah," he answered, as he proceeded to describe how they sponge off him.

"What about your friends," I asked. "Oh, they're my friends as long as I buy the drinks," he said with a frown.

"Do you have a home," I asked. "Yeah," he said. "But it's too hot where I live."

Then he said, "Some people have most of the good luck in life and some of the people have most of the bad luck. I have most of the bad luck."

When our cab ride ended, with a smile, I wished him well, knowing that for each person, our world is what our thoughts make it to be.

This man appeared healthy, has a family who loves him, a home, and a chance to build a new career or to enjoy the one he has if he would allow himself to do so.

If he could feel just a little gratitude for what he has, his world could become more joyful and this story would then be entitled, "The Happy Taxicab Driver."

Dick

This story is from a real life event


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment