Thursday, April 13, 2023

Why do people get cancer far more often than other animals

Scientists at Britain's famed Welcome Sanger Institute are trying to learn why humans get cancer far more often than other mammals, such as whales and elephants.

To help solve this mystery, this week I sat down with a kindergarten class.

"Do whales and elephants smoke," asked Patsy, age 6. "I don't think so," I replied.

"Do they eat junk food," asked Jose, age 5 1/2. "I don't think so," I replied.

"Do these animals exercise a lot," asked Becky, age 6. "I think they do," I replied.

But in the end, the kids and I could not figure out why humans get cancer far more often than other mammals. Maybe someday Welcome Sanger Institute scientists will figure it out. Until then, it will likely remain a mystery.

With Love To All - Dick

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment